Hungry for some Italian food and drinks after reading our Italian American Heritage Month feature from Macchialina Italian Restaurant in South Beach? You’re in luck: Macchialina chef-owner Mike Pirolo provided INDULGE with two of his favorite recipes.
Cocktail Recipe: Big Trouble in Little Chianto Spritz
2 ounces Barolo Chinato (Macchialina uses Giulio Cocchi)
2 ounces Q Grapefruit Soda
1 ounce Lovo Prosecco
- Add ice and ingredients to a wine glass. Stir to blend. Garnish with a grapefruit twist. Makes 1 drink.
Appetizer Recipe: Macchialina Sugar Snap Pea Salad with Prosciutto, Parmigiano and Sherry Vinaigrette
Ingredients for salad
8 ounces sugar snap peas
1 black radish
1 slice of prosciutto di Parma, thinly cut
4 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved with a peeler
Ingredients for vinaigrette
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup sherry vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place a large pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a rapid boil. Cook the snap peas in the salted water for about a minute, just until they don’t taste raw but still have plenty of snap when you bite into them. Remove the snap peas from the boiling water and shock in a bowl with ice water until the snap peas are cold.
- Drain the snap peas and pat them dry with paper towels, then cut into long, thin strips and reserve in a large bowl.
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and run on high until it is emulsified.
- Take the prosciutto strips, shaved Parmigiano and, using a mandolin, thinly shave the entire radish into the bowl with the snap peas.
- Add the sherry vinaigrette slowly until it coats the salad but it’s not drenching them. Add salt to taste and serve. Makes 4 servings.