Think Miami’s theater scene goes quiet in the summer? Think again. Six upcoming shows you’ll want to see:
- Miami New Drama ends its inaugural season at the Colony Theatre with Puras Cosas Maravillosas. Venezuelan star Erika de la Vega stars in this Spanish-language one-woman show. colony.org.
- As part of City Theatre’s Summer Shorts, renowned playwrights pen plays and mini-musicals shorter than a sitcom. arshtcenter.org.
- Before Miami Theater Center begins its musical theater summer camp, take in By the Queen, an entirely new look at the women of Shakespeare, set to rock ’n’ roll. mtcmiami.org.
- Million Dollar Quartet, one of the longest-running shows in the 30-year history of Actors’ Playhouse, continues through June 24. It’s inspired by the true story of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and others coming together for an impromptu recording session. actorsplayhouse.org.
- A small-town girl meets up with a Los Angeles rocker on the Sunset Strip in 1987, setting the stage for Rock of Ages. It’s presented June 14-July 1 by the Slow Burn Theatre Company at the Broward Center. slowburntheatre.org.
- The story of a wealthy businessman and a struggling single mom who share a city bus, Bruce Graham’s White Guy on the Bus comes to GableStage for a run August 11-September 9. gablestage.org.